Appendices and Bibliography
Bibliography of Godspell-related books
The Godspell Experience by Carol de Giere is the only book-length account of the musical Godspell‘s history, score details, and related material. The books listed below include something about Godspell or the Godspell movie (with the exception of Cox’s book that Tebelak used as a source).
The links here will send you to a book’s page at Amazon.com. Use the back button to return to this Bibliography.
- Bradley, Ian. You’ve Got to Have a Dream: The Message of the Musical. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2004.
- Bradley’s comments on Godspell span pages 133 to 144. Bradley is Senior Lecturer in Practical Theology at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland and writes from a theological perspective.
- Cox, Harvey. The Feast of Fools: A Theological Essay on Festivity and Fantasy. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1969.
- Cox doesn’t write about Godspell, but John-Michael Tebelak used this book to firm up his ideas about the show.
- Cutler, Jesse. Starlust: The Price of Fame. New York: Morgan James Publishing, 2008.
- Jesse was the lead guitar player for the original Godspell production at the Cherry Lane Theatre, and can be heard on the cast album. His book includes a few pages on his Godspell experience.
- de Giere, Carol. Defying Gravity: The Creative Career of Stephen Schwartz, from Godspell to Wicked. New York: Applause Theatre and Cinema Books, 2008.
- Defying Gravity includes several chapters on Godspell, presented in context of Stephen Schwartz’s career.
- Essex, David. Over the Moon, London: Virgin Books, 2012
- Essex played Jesus in the original London production of Godspell and has some charming things to say about it.
- Flinn, Denny Martin. Little Musicals for Little Theatres: A Reference Guide for Musicals That Don’t Need Chandeliers or Helicopters to Succeed. New York: Limelight Editions, 2005.
- This guide, with its colorful subtitle, includes a chapter on Godspell.
- Jones, John Bush. Our Musicals, Ourselves: A Social History of the American Musical Theatre Lebanon, NH: Brandeis University Press, 2004.
- Jones briefly covers Godspell in his chapter on Fragmented Society, Fragmented Musicals.
- Laird, Paul. The Musical Theater of Stephen Schwartz: From Godspell to Wicked and Beyond. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014.
- Laird is a musicology professor and takes an academic approach. He interviewed Stephen Schwartz and others and includes musical details about Godspell‘s score.
- Martin, Andrew. All for the Best: How Godspell Transferred from Stage to Screen. Albany, GA: BearManor Media, 2012.
- Martin covers details about the Godspell movie. His anecdotal book is largely based on interviews with cast members.
- Miller, Scott. From Assassins to West Side Story: The Director’s Guide to Musical Theatre. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Drama, 1996.
- In his book aimed at directors of stage productions, Miller includes a chapter on Godspell.
- Shaffer, Paul. We’ll Be Here For the Rest of Our Lives: A Swingin’ Showbiz Saga .
- Paul Shaffer was music director for the Toronto production of Godspell and also played keyboards for the Godspell movie soundtrack. He tells some great stories about each experience in his memoir.
- Short, Martin. I Must Say: My Life As a Humble Comedy Legend. New York: Harper, 2014.
- Martin played the “Jeffrey” character in Godsell in Toronto. In his memoir, he shares his experiences with Gilda Radner and other fellow cast members.
- Tatum, W. Barnes. Jesus at the Movies 3rd edition. Santa Rosa, CA: Polebridge Press, 2012.
- Jesus at the Movies includes a chapter on Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell.